Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hace Mucho Calor



It is SO hot. (or more correctly translated: It is very hot.) It was 102 today and I don't care where you are from or how hot it is where you live: it was HOT today. See the heat waves??



Yesterday, I blogged about how our AC has misplaced its purpose in life. Last night, Ian woke me up because he was scared and he heard a noise. I put him back in bed and crawled in next to him until he went back to sleep (an easy thing because he has a Great fan in his room that points straight into his bed tent and just waffles around in there because of the bed tent material. Wonderful.


So he fell asleep and then I heard a noise. I got up to investigate and there, where our AC had been at bedtime, was a big gaping hole. I could see outside. I could hear outside. And it sounded like gigantic truck engines. I went to the kitchen door to see who had the misfortune to steal our ineffective AC (good riddance!) and it was Brian's wrecker parked on the street that was making the big engine noise. There was also a cop car in our driveway. Maybe Brian (the mayor and owner of B&G's Wrecker and Recovery [B is for Brian and G is for Girric, his 5 year old son]) decided to steal our AC. But why? He has central at his house. And it works.


Then I see that my HC's unit is home as well. And then I hear voices laughing and talking and notice that the garden hose is in the front yard and not where it usually is outside Berry's dog kennel. Upon further investigation (in other words, I looked out of every window in the house), I could not locate the source of the noise. So I got a drink and checked on the kids and then there was a louder laughing and carrying on sound. I looked through the AC hole and inadvertantly scared 4 men with my eyeballs peeping out (I was on my tiptoes). I found out that they had decided to clean out the AC (you're supposed to do it every year??) and all the gunk that accumulates. They thought that it had never been done. There must have been a lot of nasty in there. Then they decided to replace it back into the hole to see if it worked any better.


I didn't care if it did or not, as long as they turned it back on. They did and it wasn't. I went to bed.


This morning, I got up and went into the kitchen. The counters were a mess. Everything was rearranged and out of place, but the kitchen felt very very good. Then I noticed the window unit that someone had stuffed in the window. Turns out we do have a window in the house that is big enough for that window unit. Thank You Lord! So the kitchen, rather than the living room, has been the heart of our home today. The little window unit has been kicking the pants off of the gigantic wall unit in the living room. It really should be embarrassed, letting a little midget like that show it up. But it's not.


I don't even know what the heat index was today, just that my HC told me to keep the kids inside, since there was one 911 call of an 11 year old needing EMS due to being outside too long and getting heat stroke or heat exhaustion or something. So we stayed inside and ate popsicles and didn't turn any lights on and didn't wear much either.


It got a little too yucky, so we decided to go to Harp's, our local grocery store. For bananas. Well, we're out and Harp's has a great AC and freezer section.


Uncle Steven decided to get us some steaks for dinner, too, so it was a great idea. He even volunteered to grill them for us. He made baked potatoes and didn't char them (I should have taken a picture of my poor mummified, dusty potatoes).


It was great.


Now we are waiting for the bedrooms to cool off enough so I can put the kids in bed. So far it's 8:30 and it's a no go. So Ian is playing his earned 30 minutes of video games and Erin is playing, not yet in the tired/cranky stage. Which is a nice change, because she's been lodged in hot/cranky for a few days now. I am just ready to stretch out and dry.


But when it comes down to it, I'm not missing the microwave all that much. I had to give up the microwave plug-in to plug in the window AC in the kitchen. Good riddance to that too. I'll haul the microwave to the bathroom if I have to use it that bad.


Don't worry, I'm not that desperate yet.

2 comments:

MrsEvenSo... said...

What a cool bed tent, Ian!

Rachie Pachie said...

Glad it's getting better! I also think it's hilarious that you scared the guys that night! I'm laughing thinking about that... wonder if you could have done it again that night!?

And that's awesome to go to the grocery store for the freezer section. That's certainly a time one wouldn't mind several hours in a store!