Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ice Cream After Dark


During the summer reading program, Ian and I read hundreds (yes, really) of books for the reading logs, and his name was entered several times into the drawing for prizes. A great upside, especially for those kids to whom reading 55 books was like being picked for varsity anything, a smaller incentive was provided. For every 20 books you read, you got a Sonic food card for a free ice cream cone. For a then 3 year old, who cares about a drawing for prizes when you could have Ice Cream???
But we got a bunch of ice cream cards (and a bunch of cards for free tater tots too, but they didn't last as long). While she was handing them to me, the Head Librarian/Director, whatever her title is, told me that one of her favorite memories from her childhood was when her parents would load the kids into the car after supper and bathtime and take a drive. They would always end up at a drive-in/drive-through for ice cream. "Maybe you could do that for your kids, too," she said to me with a fond smile. I guess the muggy air, lightning bugs and long days were giving her some sentimental moments. It was catching.


Last night, that's what we did. My HC was at work, but the kids and I were just doing our thing. We were all bathed and fed and playing around and then I decided. "Get your shoes on!" I told Ian and picked the baby up. I dug around for some spare change and clutching it in my hopeful fist, headed to the car.
Our normal bedtime for the chillens is around 8:30 and they get cranky when this is not observed. I can remember only one or two time when the kids have been with me driving after dark, other than driving back from a friend's house in a residential area. Well, we went to Sonic and you'd think it was Ian's first time in the real world. "Ooooooh! Look at all the lights! They're boooo-diful!" "Yeah, wow," I tried to sound impressed. Really, I was thinking "What am I doing to my children that they are bowled over by neon lights from gas stations?" Even Erin cooed and oohed as we turned into Sonic.
Finally, our ice cream was ordered and the change was counted out (Erin and I got a 99 cent Banana Split! Ian's was free). I put Ian's ice cream cone in the Tupperware bowl that I'd brought for just that purpose (otherwise you have to hold it, dripping, all the way home....ew) and we went home, oohing some more at the pretty lights (they ARE pretty if you just look at colors).
We got home and chocolate syrup and sprinkles were added. Then Ian wanted some banana in his too and we had a good time all sitting there chowing down.
And there's nothing like the chocolate ring around little smiling mouths to give you a good feeling.
Everyone went to bed happy last night, let me tell you.
Then my HC's dad, who lives in FL, popped in for a short visit. He surprised him at work and it was definitely a surprise. Then he (with an aunt and 4 of her kids) came to the house to see everyone else. Everyone else was sleeping. It was 11:15. My HC tried to get Ian up to see his cousins, but he refused. His head just lolled drunkenly on HC's shoulder and the eyes wouldn't open. It was an ice cream induced haze, I'm sure.
They left around 12:30. It was good to see them. It was definitely a big surprise, one that we never would have expected otherwise. They headed back to the aunt's house, which is about 2 hours away and then I went to Bed! HC went back out to work a little more and assist the officer on duty. And guess who was up at 7:30 this morning??? Yup, my little Banana Split Princess. Another side effect of Sonic. :D


3 comments:

Even So... said...

First!

Even So... said...

Oh, btw, yay! What wonderful pictures...

MrsEvenSo... said...

Papaw is so funny!

One of my childhood memories is going to A&W drive-in for a root beer float on Sunday afternoon after a long drive. :D They were always mmmmmmmmmmm good.

Some of the best "things to do" are the least expensive.

LOOOOOOVE the pictures!

Glad you had a nice visit from your family.