Saturday, October 4, 2008

Getting By



Several interesting things have happened this week. It's hard to believe my last post was last Sunday. I guess days just fly by, especially when there's no school on Friday.
Monday, I took both of the kids back to the doctor to try to solve the nasty cough that was still keeping both of them awake at night. They both got some albuterol for the nebulizer, Ian got a z-pack and Erin got a special med for the nebulizer. We have now weaned Ian from the neb (he informed me last night "I don't want to breathe tonight, Okay Mommy?") and Erin is down to her one medicinal session. And the results? drum roll. The cough is still there, but it is not keeping them awake, it just rattles around at random moments.
alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5253482956384627858" />


My HC and I are doing SO well in our 'new room' and our isolated bed. I used to wonder why split plan houses were such a great idea. Wouldn't you want to be close to your children? Yes. No. Uh, can you repeat the question? Even on the other side of the house, my Mommy superhearing can still detect every snort, sniffle and falling blanket. And the loud noises too, like cranky babies and falling Ians.




While Erin was so sick we kind of reverted to nursing, since it was the Only (and I do mean ONLY) way she would sleep for several long nights). So this week we have been weaning again and everything is almost back to post-nursing shape. Yay. Nursing is great, but not with someone with the bite pressure of a great white. Nuff said.
On Wednesday, my HC and I went to Tahlequah (the 'capital' of the Cherokee nation) to look through the Dawes roll and to put to rest some family myths. No family names on there, no Cherokee benefits (now quit nagging, family members!). We were able to trace the Cherokee ancestors back to Tennessee (by way of Georgia and North Carolina). So if anyone in our family is still interested in proving ancestry to get Cherokee benefits, they will have to go to Tennessee to find out. Our obligation is finished.
But the drive was gorgeous and will be more so when the leaves all change. It should happen in the next few weeks.
We also decided to treat ourselves and eat in a real restaurant! It's been so long since I've been to Chili's. It was great. Looove the chips and salsa. Mmmm.
On Thursday, we just chilled out. My HC saw an exercise machine and a treadmill in an alley behind a beauty salon/gift shop/tanning salon/woman's gym (they have toning beds....right). I went in and inquired about them. I was told I could buy the treadmill for $25 (the belt was about to be severed but I could buy a replacement belt) and the Air Walker for $40 (it worked but I have since discovered that it has a knocking sound and shakes a bit while you're using it).
So the Air Walker came home. Woo hoo!

Friday was no school and a parent/teacher conference. And the Book Fair. Ian is doing great in pre-k and will be starting a reader soon (!!!). He is doing extremely well and is a good student. He works well with positive reinforcement. Of course, we knew all these things. :D
We all had fun at the Book Fair. It's so hard to resist all of those shiny new cheap books. Sigh. We did get a few though. I know. Just paint "Sucker" on my forehead. I love books. Then we went home and bummed around and I made chili from scratch (in other words, from dried beans....MMMM).



Last night, Erin only woke up 1 (ONE!) time. [cue Hallelujah Chorus]


Today was pancakes, video games, and challenging my HC to try out the Air Walker and stop sneering at it (he stopped sneering after 5 minutes. Then he had to do something manly like weight-lifting). Erin never did take her afternoon nap, which made for a long afternoon.
Fall always puts me in a baking mood, so I started a new batch of Sourdough Starter today. This is the stuff you put in your bread mix when you want to make sourdough bread. It has to sit on the counter for 2-5 days. You stir it once a day (it's covered by a towel, don't get grossed out on me) and then put it into a sealed jar in the fridge. As long as you don't forget about it, it will stay nice and not get black and separated and smelly and make people think you have an illegal still in your kitchen. So THIS time, I will remember to stir it every week or two. Yes. Definitely.
I also made Chex Mix, but I have a feeling that no one will eat it this time either. Too bad I have All This Cereal....

3 comments:

MrsEvenSo... said...

I'll eat the chex mix! Me! Me! Me! Over here, hey, I have my hand up. sigh. She can't see me. :/

The top picture is absolutely adorable. Email me that one please.

she would sleep for a few days Now that must have been extremely scary! :P

T said...

If you melt some peanut butter and coat the chex mix then roll it in powdered sugar it becomes this stuff called puppy chow....I know that will go quickly. It sounds gross but it is really very good...I have seen grown men make themselves ill on it.

Great pics! Glad to hear Ian is a smart one like his parents...never had any doubts there. Erin might turn out to be a musical prodigy soon.

Miss you guys.

Canary Joy said...

I can testify on behalf of the puppy chow...YUMMY,YUMMY! Haleigh has had her share of the "Albuterol Nebulizer Monster". She's going on the fourth week on friday.Yuck!But, she only has to take it twice a day now instead of three. YEAH!