Saturday, November 8, 2008

Tasks Long Undone


Today was a pretty busy day for me. I got some unlooked for motivation and tackled some tasks long undone. Those little things that you never seem to want to do, or want to do at the wrong times. Case in point. Today I took down all the curtains and washed them. And let me just say, the ones in the kitchen? Yuck. Seriously. Yuck. They've only been up for a year. Where did all that dust and greasy film come from? I think I'll stop before I make everyone think that my house is a cesspool of nastiness. Now it's a bit cleaner. I finished in time to get the kids' curtains on their windows before it got dark. Score! That took all day and was a complete pain in the butt to rehang all the curtains on those confounded curtain rods. No, I wasn't frustrated at all; I kept a cool head every time the curtains snagged on the rods and the rods bent while I was putting them up and the brackets came out of the wall. Even when I hung up curtains that were backwards or with mismatched curtains. Yeah. Cool head. Uh huh.
We also got some little details taken care of (translation: I reminded my HC constantly until he got out from in front of the computer and got it done). We got the portable AC out of Erin's room, since it was 45 outside at 2pm. I guess we figured we didn't need it anymore. And it was a great way to get window shut all the way and the cardboard blocker thing above the AC vent tube out of the picture. And we got a couple more things hung up. And some trim put back on in the kitchen that was never reinstalled after we got the dishwasher. Someone put the whole 8 feet of it on top of a curtain rod and forgot about it. There were nails still in it. I found it rather quickly when I was taking the dirty curtains down. Yup.
I also got the last of the little baby toys and burp cloths packed away so I can quit shifting them from one side of Erin's room to the other. Still have not gotten everyone's warm weather clothes squared away, but it might help if I had some boxes or something to store them in. The kids are really hard on those Tupperware storage boxes. Ian has the tendency to jump up and down on them or play fort in them until they get cracks and get a blowout.
The kids got up superearly this morning (Erin was up at 6:30), so I was kind of tired while waiting for the last load of curtains to dry. I lay down for a couple of minutes and didn't wake up until it was time for my HC to get ready for work (work was at 6 tonight!). No clue how I managed to fall asleep with all the racket and goings on. I guess I must have found my earplugs in my sleep and put them in, because they were wedged in my ears when I woke up. Hm. When I woke up it was dusk, all cold and gray outside, so I rushed to put up the curtains.
It's supposed to be in the 20s tonight. I really need to find a box to put Ian's summer stuff in so he'll quit begging to wear his flip flops everywhere. He didn't feel like putting on warm clothes today, so I sent him in short sleeves, with one flip flop and one bare foot, out the door and down the driveway to see for himself what the weather was like. It started out nonchalant, but ended up with him hippity skipping his cold-toed way back to the door. He changed his mind about going outside.
Berry is moping because my HC's unit blew its transmission last night. Therefore, Berry can't go to work (no dogbox in the backseat). He is upset.
I made pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese icing. No one is eating it. So much for variety. I guess everyone just wants pumpkin pie until they get burnt out on it. Maybe I should have just made the caramel apples instead. They were supposed to be for Halloween, but we were in the hospital so it got put off.
Hark, I hear strange bumping noises and a large crash. Sounds like I need to go clean something else up.

1 comment:

MrsEvenSo... said...

Well...you can send some of that motivation my way, or be the motivation at my house. :D

Good for you! It always feels good to get things accomplished. Especially when company is coming. I shall remember my white glove. :P