Thursday, November 19, 2009

Fudgie

Ian and I try to read almost every night before bed. I would like to say that it is because I am such a model parent and blah blah, but really it is for several reasons. One reason, though not the most important, is that I get to reread the kiddy stories that I've carted around for years and years. Another reason is that it gives Ian a chance to settle down after romping all over the house horsing around with Daddy. It's good for the sweat to dry off before bedtime. I also love it when something tickles him and he just grabs his middle and laughs his head off. There's not much better than that. And it's hard to predict what will set him off, other than body parts or body functions. He is 5, after all.
My HC of course, thinks I just like to hear my own voice. But nobody listens to him when he gets in those moods. ;)
We have read Stuart Little (he liked the first half, but lost interest in the last couple chapters) and several Bobbsey Twins books (now he has a renewed longing to go to the circus...and I think I caught him saying "Swell!" once). We've also read all of the Junie B Jones Kindergarten books. We're going to wait a bit to start First Grade. But for some reason, I decided to try him on Judy Blume. So we started "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing." Fudgie is now his favorite topic of conversation. At the chapter about Fudgie's 3rd birthday party, he laughed so hard he rolled off the bed and into my lap (I was sitting next to the bed in a kiddy chair). He still mentions it from time to time, the funny parts. Tonight we are reading the last two chapters. We'll see how that goes, but I think "Superfudge" is in our future. I can't wait until he gets older and we can start Chronicles of Narnia. But in the meantime, any suggestions or favorites? Try to keep in mind that we are PBS kids and don't even like the Disney movies with death and sadness (Lion King? Bambi? Fox and Hound?) That's curbed a few that I've thought of. Thanks!

5 comments:

Even So... said...

First! No clue as to what to read...yet...to excited to see a new post and be the first to comment...superfudgie...heh heh heh...

MrsEvenSo... said...

What wonderful memories you are creating together! After all... Ian does have one of the most coveted storytellers of all time. :D
What a legacy he has to follow. I think he'll be able to hold his own very well. Can't wait to hear him read a story to us one day soon with expression and such. (I'm smiling from ear to ear.)
Sorry, no suggestions off the top of my head. My memories with you and your brothers are mostly Dr. Seuss. :P

MrsEvenSo... said...

Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval.

Great idea! Some of the comments are kind of weird and spooky. Sometimes we forget that EVERYONE EVERYWHERE can stumble onto your site. Love ya! Great to be safe. And totally okay not to approve publishing of this one or any other one I comment on that may be inappropriate for all readers! ;D Blogger's discretion is warranted.

lisalynn said...

oh i remember when you used to read us the chronicles of narnia.....and your sooo good at it too he and erin will love that :) miss you guys hope your holidays are full of fun!!!

T said...

Ian is lucky! I always liked when you would read to us on the sail boat, especially is there was the word vexed involved!