Monday, May 4, 2009

Adjusting

Yesterday marks my first attempt at wheat-less, egg-less, milk-less baking. And it was edible. It was pretty good if you didn't remember how much better it tasted before I modified everything. But I digress.
I scoured the internet for recipes. I found one for oatmeal muffins. It called for weird ingredients and hand juiced oranges, the zest of one whole orange and cranberries. Real cranberries. Call me a nut, but I didn't want to waste our oranges to make muffins. And I'm not sure I've ever really seen real cranberries. Oh, wait, I did see some last holidays because my HC told me if I ever tried to make cranberry sauce from scratch he and the kids would go to McDonald's for Thanksgiving. I don't think he likes whole cranberries very much. Did anyone else get that vibe?
Anyway, that recipe was not realistic. So I took my old recipe and modified it. Instead of flour, I made my own oat flour in the chopper. Instead of an egg, I used 1/2 a banana. There was already applesauce in the recipe, which was good. The banana instead of an egg idea was from the pamphlet the allergist gave us. For everyone else, it had "For baking:" in front of it, so I wouldn't recommend it for fried rice or anything. :)
They baked and came out. They smelled so good. We have been without breads, crackers, buns or any kind of baked bready goods for a week. They cooled and the kids fell upon them like hyenas on a carcass.
While they were distracted by the discovery of muffin cups and the fact that they had, indeed, ingested paper, I snagged one. It was crispy on the outside and very moist on the inside. Very moist like it needed to be baked a bit more. Very moist like it giggled when I broke it open. You get it.
I was also confused by the fact that they hadn't risen much. Is oat flour really that heavy?
Anyway, I think Erin ate 4 of the things yesterday. And she ate one this morning while we were in the doctor's office for her follow-up.
Last night I made sweet potato fries that would have been better if I had read ALL of the directions and put them on a paper towel when they came out of the oven. So they got a wee bit soggy, but they were still good.
This morning we went to our doc's appt. Erin's doing better, though she's still wheezing. She's still got a cough, etc etc etc. She doesn't have a fever anymore and she's eating, which was evident from the muffin crumbs trailing us from the waiting room. We will continue to monitor her as she goes off of the 5 day scrips, blah blah blah. Ian is also going to be scheduled for his own allergy testing. Though his isn't as scary as Erin's he still gets the never-ending sleep-interrupting cough every 6 weeks or so. Sigh!
Tomorrow will be our first allergen-conscious shopping trip. We are sincerely hoping it goes well and is not too awfully expensive!

2 comments:

Rachie Pachie said...

Glad you found something that can resemble bread-like food! I wonder why it was so "moist" inside? Weird.

And the sweet tater fries sound good!! A bit o' salt & yummy!!

Glad Erin's eating & seems to be doing a bit better. Hopefully this will knock out all those nasty symptoms for her.

Even So... said...

Praying...